How does Citizen Advocacy Help?
There are many advantages for a person with disability being matched with a citizen advocate. Some of the benefits include:
- Creation of a wide range of positive experiences promoting wellbeing with opportunities for learning and growth.
- A powerful voice, with no conflict of interest, to represent their rights, needs and interests.
- Protection from neglect, exploitation and abuse.
- Acceptance and social inclusion.
- Increased power and control in their lives.
- Continuity, stability and security through a long-term freely-given relationship.
- Raised social status with broadened network of social contacts and opportunities.
- Change in community attitudes with understanding of the issues faced by people with disabilities.